Aligning form element widths (was FW: html 4.0)

At 7:37a -0500 02/06/98, Vanessa Sikkema wrote:
> While you are working on the 4.0 specs, I have a suggestion:
>
> <option width=[#pixels|%] value="whatever">xx
>
> I am having tremendous difficulty getting my superiors to allow me to
> use HTML forms simply because they can't line up.  Could you put a
> width attribute in the option tag?

Since the desire is [presumably] to have multiple menus the same width,
I think it would be better to simply specify *that*, rather than force
a specific value of width. Perhaps 'width=IDorName', so a browser could
know to lengthen the shorter of any object having that IDorName to match
the width of the widest object. This would be more device independent.
Nice idea...

-Walter