Re: LinkType MADE

On Fri, 6 Feb 1998, Benjamin Franz wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Feb 1998, Russell Steven Shawn O'Connor wrote:
> Possibly because both 'made' and 'owner' have been so extensively strip
> mined by web crawling spambots that even people who *used* to use them now
> deliberately omit them to reduce their junk mail load. I *NEVER* expose an
> email address on a web page directly if I can help it.

This reduces the usefulness of your web page to your readers.  It also
isn't a reason to revome it from the spces.

> And I would say they are of very little use otherwise since you couldn't
> even fill the fingers of one hand with the number of browsers that do
> something intelligent with it.

Lack of browser support is not a good reason to remove it from the specs.

> Last time I checked, even Lynx couldn't handle anything except mailto:
> for the HREF - handling http: would be much better since I could direct
> people to a page with real information.

The Lynx I have handles http links.

    <URL:http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/%7Eroconnor/>
"And truth irreversibly destroys the meaning of its own message"
-- Anindita Dutta, "The Paradox of Truth, the Truth of Entropy"