RE: OBJECT, inheritance, and rendering

From: Mike Meyer <mwm@contessa.phone.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 15:22:01 PST
To: www-html@w3.org
> Umm, could someone explain the advantage of a CSI over a SSI?

CSI takes advantage of caches. SSI pretty much defeats them, though
some implementations manage to do a bit better, and datestamp the
document with the date of the latest part used to build it. CSI also
lets you build documents from pieces on different servers - allowing
you to imbed a search result from the HTTP interface to an SQL server
in a document that comes from a off-the-shelf HTTP server.

> I cannot think of a single application for a client-side include.

There aren't very many *usefull* things to do with SSI. Eliminate
things that are better done with a server-side build model and there's
very little left. See <URL: http://www.phone.net/home/mwm/no-ssi.html
> for more information.

> Don't most servers do SSIs these days? And by the time browsers
> all support CSIs (if that would ever happen), wouldn't all servers
> be doing SSIs? And if so, why not just use SSIs?

No, all servers do not support SSI. Those that don't usually don't for
a reason, so expecting them to grow SSI is a bit naive. Further, SSI
isn't portable across servers, even if both servers use the same basic
model, which isn't always true.

	<mike