RE: OBJECT, inheritance, and rendering

At 2:52p -0700 08/04/98, Todd Fahrner wrote:

>would be comparable to a server-side include. Even better, perhaps: be able
>to include id's within complete HTML documents; e.g.,
>
><OBJECT data="http://www.prismaticbooger.com/index.html#chug"
>type="text/htmf">
>   <em>Unfortunately, your UA doesn't support OBJECT for inclusion of HTML
>   fragments, so you're reading this instead.</em>
></OBJECT>
>
>This would render the element whose id="chug" and all its children, exactly
>as if the element had been included server-side, with all the usual
>inheritance rules applying.
>
>Servers could pre-process such files as they were being served in order to
>take care of legacy UAs, or just to speed things along as load permitted.
>UAs could fetch their own includes if bandwidth were high, or let the
>server do it if low.

Umm, could someone explain the advantage of a CSI over a SSI?
I cannot think of a single application for a client-side include.
Don't most servers do SSIs these days? And by the time browsers
all support CSIs (if that would ever happen), wouldn't all servers
be doing SSIs? And if so, why not just use SSIs?