Re: OBJECT, inheritance, and rendering

[cc's trimmed; since HTML 4.0 is referenced, www-style omitted]

...David wrote:

> > There are two ways an included HTML document might be rendered:

> > 1. As a nested UA window, independent of the enclosing
> > document. The OBJECT
> > simply defines the dimensions of the nested window. The
> > enclosed document is
> > rendered as if it were a new document, with no regard to the display
> > properties of the enclosing document at the point of insertion.
>
> "Independent" is a strong word. How strongly do you mean it?

The statement is a paraphrase from:
<URI:http://www.w3.org/TR/PR-html40/struct/objects.html#h-13.5>

where the word independent is also used.

[...]

> As stated, per my interpretation of the specs, this is not entirely
> accurate. The host document *can* affect the background color of the
> included document, but not the foreground color.

But I find no ambiguity in:

"Also, an embedded document does not inherit style information from the
main document.", from the URI above.

I've tried to re-read this thread, but in deleting cc's of every
message, I may have inadvertently deleted your cite from the
recommendation on which you base your statement that the "host document
*can* affect the background color..." . That would clearly conflict with
the quote above, and one or the other of the cites would be errata
fodder.

Sue Jordan