Re: implementation of FIRST-LETTER - possible problem

Peter Flynn (pflynn@imbolc.ucc.ie)
30 Sep 1997 12:18:32 +0100

Date: 30 Sep 1997 12:18:32 +0100
From: Peter Flynn <pflynn@imbolc.ucc.ie>
To: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: implementation of FIRST-LETTER - possible problem

Martin writes:
   I don't know whether this is described there, but frequently,
   some two-letter combinations are dropped, the same two-letter
   combinations that remain in abbreviations. For examlpe, Thomas
   is usually abbreviated Th., and so both the T and the h would
   be dropped.

That is a design decision.

   In July I saw a manuscript in a museum in Budapest that had
   each first letter painted in red instead of dropped. As far
   as I can remember, that happened for each paragraph. Could
   such a thing be done in CSS?

As far as I know, specifying colour for a style is trivial. If the
stylesheet has a mechanism for identifying first chars (either by
using markup or by some routine of its own) then there should be no
problem.

///Peter