Re: implementation of FIRST-LETTER - possible problem

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Martin_J=2E_D=FCrst?= (mduerst@ifi.unizh.ch)
Mon, 29 Sep 1997 17:33:35 +0100 (MET)

Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 17:33:35 +0100 (MET)
From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Martin_J=2E_D=FCrst?= <mduerst@ifi.unizh.ch>
To: Peter Flynn <pflynn@imbolc.ucc.ie>
cc: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: implementation of FIRST-LETTER - possible problem

On 29 Sep 1997, Peter Flynn wrote:

> Chris Croome writes:
>
>    1)	When the first paragraph is a quote, e.g. "In my
>    experience, browser support for CSS is..." In this case BOTH
>    the " and the first letter should be counted at the
>    FIRST-LETTER. Will this be the case?
>
> See my articles on dropped caps under the banner of _Typographers'
> Inn_ in several successive issues of _TeX and TUG News_ (1:3, 1:4,
> 2:1, 2:2, 2:4, see [1]).

I don't know whether this is described there, but frequently,
some two-letter combinations are dropped, the same two-letter
combinations that remain in abbreviations. For examlpe, Thomas
is usually abbreviated Th., and so both the T and the h would
be dropped.

In July I saw a manuscript in a museum in Budapest that had
each first letter painted in red instead of dropped. As far
as I can remember, that happened for each paragraph. Could
such a thing be done in CSS?

Regards,	Martin.