Re: HTML/Browser Extensions and Object Control

Iain Wilkie Logan (iainlogan@enterprise.net)
Tue, 16 Sep 1997 20:18:34 +0100 (BST)

Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 20:18:34 +0100 (BST)
From: Iain Wilkie Logan <iainlogan@enterprise.net>
To: Rob <wlkngowl@unix.asb.com>
Cc: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: HTML/Browser Extensions and Object Control

On Tue 16 Sep, Rob wrote:
> On 15 Sep 97, Iain Wilkie Logan wrote:

[..]

> I think foreground/background images can be combined as one inline images
> switch. (Also background images would be covered in the <BODY> attributes
> directive.)

I thought separate switches might be better - I use a system with
anti-aliased fonts, and rendering on some pages which have multi coloured
background images can be a bit iffy, particularly on the ones with a broad
band of colour down one side. These usually render OK without the background
image, but with the other images switched on.

> >  Display frames
> >  Display tables
>
> Disabling frames is a good one. Tables I do not think are a problem.

Agreed, but as an author option the table switch is handy if you're checking
whether they degrade gracefully or not. I'd agree it needn't be mandatory
though.

> >  Load/Play background sounds
> >  All other proprietary extensions not mentioned above
>
> Like Java and JavaScript.
>
> More control of objects is desired. I would like to see the ability to
> (1) not load objects above a certain size (or at least to give a dialog
>   or choice in loading them)
> (2) not load certain types of objects inline (such as loading audio/* or
>   video/*)
> (3) not load specific objects (by name or MD5/CRC32), such as
>   the JumpingText Java applet
> (4) not load objects (such as Java or JavaScipt or ActiveX) from specific
>   sites (I'm less worried about security glitches as using a complex Java
>   applet that runs fine on the author's nifty 64MB machine but crashes
>   the mere 16MB machine I happen to be surfing the web with

These are very sensible suggestions indeed.

All the best,

Iain

--

Iain Logan, Langholm, Dumfriesshire - Chartered Transport Consultant
<http://homepages.enterprise.net/iainlogan/>