HTML/Browser Extensions and Object Control

Rob (
Tue, 16 Sep 1997 08:00:50 -0500

From: "Rob" <>
To: Iain Wilkie Logan <>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 08:00:50 -0500
Subject: HTML/Browser Extensions and Object Control

On 15 Sep 97, Iain Wilkie Logan wrote:

> [..]
> 2. What a browser *must* be able to do, *if* it can render the following:
> (a) Switch On/Off:
>  <BODY> Colour and background directives
>  Load/Display foreground images
>  Load/Display background images

I think foreground/background images can be combined as one inline images
switch. (Also background images would be covered in the <BODY> attributes

>  Display frames
>  Display tables

Disabling frames is a good one. Tables I do not think are a problem.

>  Load/Play background sounds
>  All other proprietary extensions not mentioned above

Like Java and JavaScript.

More control of objects is desired. I would like to see the ability to
(1) not load objects above a certain size (or at least to give a dialog
  or choice in loading them)
(2) not load certain types of objects inline (such as loading audio/* or
(3) not load specific objects (by name or MD5/CRC32), such as
  the JumpingText Java applet
(4) not load objects (such as Java or JavaScipt or ActiveX) from specific
  sites (I'm less worried about security glitches as using a complex Java
  applet that runs fine on the author's nifty 64MB machine but crashes
  the mere 16MB machine I happen to be surfing the web with

"The word to 'kill' ain't dirty    | Robert Rothenburg
 I used it in the last line        |
 but use the short word for lovin' |
 and Dad you wind up doin' time."  | PGP'd mail welcome (ID 0x5D3F2E99)