Re: HTML4.0 draft: Sound objects

Joel N. Weber II (devnull@gnu.ai.mit.edu)
Thu, 11 Sep 1997 21:46:36 -0400 (EDT)

Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 21:46:36 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Joel N. Weber II" <devnull@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
To: liam@htmlhelp.com
CC: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: HTML4.0 draft: Sound objects

I agree that this is a reasonable approach.

It also suggests that a strict partition between visual cascading style
sheets and aural cascading style sheets is a bad idea.  (The HTML 4.0
draft has a reference to "text/acss"; I don't know if that means people
thought that we really should have a different MIME type, or not.
In any case, I thought until I saw this message that perhaps there
really was no overlap in the supported properties.)

It might be interesting to have a browser which displays pictures, and
reads the text.  That sort of thing would certainly be useful for
people who cannot read (small children, people who somehow have a computer
but are uneducated, etc).  That suggests you might want to have some sort
of slide show arrangement to show the pictures at the right time.

   Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 20:36:00 -0400
   From: Liam Quinn <liam@htmlhelp.com>

   While we're talking about sensible solutions...  I don't think background
   sounds have a place in HTML, whether included with BGSOUND or OBJECT,
   since they're purely presentational.  Aural Cascading Style Sheets [1]
   provide a simple method of specifying a background sound for a document:

   BODY { play-during: url(foo.mid) repeat }

   This allows users to specify

   BODY { play-during: none ! important }

   in their personal style sheet if they dislike background sounds.  And
   users who want to hear some sounds but not others could selectively
   override author style sheets.

   [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-acss