Re: ONMOUSEOVER vs. ONMOUSEMOVE

At 5:31 AM -0500 1997-09-09, Walter Ian Kaye wrote:
>At 8:10p +1000 09/09/97, Alexandre Rafalovitch wrote:
> > On Tue, 9 Sep 1997, Arnaud Le Hors wrote:
> >
> > > The onmouseover event occurs when the pointing device gets over an
> > > element. This attribute may be used with most elements.
> > >
> > > The onmousemove event occurs when the pointing device is moved while it
> > > is over an element. This attribute may be used with most elements.
> > >

> > So onmouseover is like mouseEnter? What about mouseExit then? Can you
> > explain the sequence of events you expect an element will get when a mouse
> > is just passing over it (as in enter at one end and leave at another)?
>
>There is, in fact, an onMouseOut event. There was a browser incompatibility
>problem when IE3 implemented JavaScript, as it's behavior differed from that
>of Navigator. I had been using an onMouseOver for links to show help text in
>the status bar at the bottom of the window; Navigator automatically clears
>the status bar when you move the mouse off the link, but Explorer leaves the
>text in the status bar unless you put in explicit onMouseOut's to clear it.
>I had to update several of my pages to deal with this, er, "anomaly".

Funny--I had to use onMouseExit (I think; maybe it was MouseOut) to clear
the text when I used NS...on some platforms it just stuck there.  I know
you have to do that for image hiliting, a popular JS technique.

[                    Jordan Reiter                     ]
[            mailto:jreiter@mail.slc.edu               ]
[ "You can't just say, 'I don't want to get involved.' ]
[  The universe got you involved."  --Hal Lipset, P.I. ]