Re: ONMOUSEOVER vs. ONMOUSEMOVE

At 8:10p +1000 09/09/97, Alexandre Rafalovitch wrote:
 > On Tue, 9 Sep 1997, Arnaud Le Hors wrote:
 >
 > > The onmouseover event occurs when the pointing device gets over an
 > > element. This attribute may be used with most elements.
 > >
 > > The onmousemove event occurs when the pointing device is moved while it
 > > is over an element. This attribute may be used with most elements.
 > >

 > So onmouseover is like mouseEnter? What about mouseExit then? Can you
 > explain the sequence of events you expect an element will get when a mouse
 > is just passing over it (as in enter at one end and leave at another)?

There is, in fact, an onMouseOut event. There was a browser incompatibility
problem when IE3 implemented JavaScript, as it's behavior differed from that
of Navigator. I had been using an onMouseOver for links to show help text in
the status bar at the bottom of the window; Navigator automatically clears
the status bar when you move the mouse off the link, but Explorer leaves the
text in the status bar unless you put in explicit onMouseOut's to clear it.
I had to update several of my pages to deal with this, er, "anomaly".