Re: block (%blocklevel;) as opposed to block (%blocklevel; | %inline

E. Stephen Mack (estephen@emf.net)
Tue, 21 Oct 1997 15:51:59 -0700

Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 15:51:59 -0700
To: www-html@w3.org
From: "E. Stephen Mack" <estephen@emf.net>
Subject: Re: block (%blocklevel;) as opposed to block (%blocklevel; |   %inline

Neil St.Laurent (neil@bigpic.com) really panicked me with
the note about block now being defined as ( %blocklevel; )
instead of ( %blocklevel; | %inline; )...

...but, Neil, please make sure you state WHICH version of
HTML 4.0 draft DTDs you are talking about.  There is the
"strict" version [1] and the "loose" version [2], both
referenced from the W3C's HTML 4.0 page [3].

The change you're talking about is only in the "strict" DTD,
not the "loose" DTD.  For anyone using the loose DTD, the
definitions HAVE NOT changed.

>I suppose this has probably been discussed and been rationalized
>fully, but I think there should be a big bold note in the HTML 4.0
>site at W3 stating the change:

Given that most people will be using the loose DTD, I don't
think this big bold note is required.

>Noting that simple constructs like
><UL>
>   <LI>Hello
>   <LI>There
></UL>
>are now invalid and should be:
><UL>
>   <LI><P>Hello
>   <LI><P>There
></UL>

True -- but only if you're writing to the strict DTD.

Given that, I think this a rational and sane change that most
of us would not disagree with.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-html40/sgml/HTML4-strict.dtd
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-html40/sgml/HTML4-loose.dtd
[3] http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-html40/