Re: Support for Vector Images

David Perrell (
Sat, 29 Nov 1997 19:19:42 -0800

From: "David Perrell" <>
To: <>, <>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 19:19:42 -0800
Subject: Re: Support for Vector Images

Clive Bruton wrote:

>Peter Flynn wrote at 28/11/97 2:34 pm
>>EPS is not necessarily vector-based, it can contain bitmaps too.
>I think that's an additional advantage, rather than a disadvantage, how
>else could you have bitmaps with clipping paths?

I believe CGM (Computer Graphics Metafile) supports clipping paths. It
certainly can use bitmaps as texture fill, which is basically the same
thing. A CGM can contain vector graphics (e.g., polylines, ellipses, NURBS),
raster graphics (e.g., tile array), and text.[1]

Postscript is a page description language; an EPS file is actually an
interpreted program. CGM is a graphics file format. CGM files require less
processing overhead to display. They also require less bandwidth to move
around. I did a comparison of image formats as exports from CorelDRAW!. A
simple logo was 1.5k bytes as a CGM file. It was 24k as an EPS.

David Perrell