Re: Header, Footer, and Sidebars

Todd Fahrner (
Wed, 26 Nov 1997 11:42:26 -0700

Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 11:42:26 -0700
To: Benjamin Franz <>,
        Style Sheet mailing list <>,
From: Todd Fahrner <>
Subject: RE: Header, Footer, and Sidebars

Benjamin Franz wrote, at 10:06 -0800 on 26.11.97:
> Whups. Scratch that on the low x NS4.0x. It was the MSIE 4.0b browsers
> with ActiveX turned off that made the content vanish (I went back and
> checked my old mail - I reported this to the www-html list back in May). I
> haven't tried it in the MSIE 4.0 final yet.

Beta software is supposed to crash: that's the point. If authors concern
themselves with coding around bugs in beta software, they impede the work
of the beta testers (you know - 63% of the Web browsing population) and do
a disservice to the developers, who need to know when spec-compliant inputs
break their software. This is true to a lesser degree with dot releases,
isn't it? Users must understand that if they're not running the latest dot
release, they can expect to encounter problems, for which fixes exist

Todd Fahrner