Re: Header, Footer, and Sidebars

Andrew n marshall (
Tue, 25 Nov 1997 22:25:50 -0800

From: Andrew n marshall <>
To: "'David Norris'" <>,
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 22:25:50 -0800
Subject: RE: Header, Footer, and Sidebars

On Tuesday, November 25, 1997 6:23 PM, David Norris
[] wrote:
>     Has anyone worked on including some means for creating dockable
> footers, and sidebars in HTML or CSS?  A dockable header, footer, and
> sidebar would be helpful for HTML accessibility and backward
> This can be visually accomplished with frames, currently.  Frames,

This can be accomplished with careful uses of CSS-2.  Here's is my one file

IE4 is the only UA that renders this properly.

Note that much of the absolute positioning could be discarded if the
'available' values or unit were implemented as I suggested the other day in
www-style.  This would also allow more flexibility in the fonts.  The
current implementation requires all size values be in absolute coordinates
or % of <BODY>, rather than conforming to the content (reasoning behind the
overflow values.

Andrew n marshall
  student - artist - programmer
      "Everyone a mentor,  Everyone a pupil"