RE: Header, Footer, and Sidebars

On Tuesday, November 25, 1997 6:23 PM, David Norris
[SMTP:kg9ae@geocities.com] wrote:
>     Has anyone worked on including some means for creating dockable
headers,
> footers, and sidebars in HTML or CSS?  A dockable header, footer, and
> sidebar would be helpful for HTML accessibility and backward
compatibility.
> This can be visually accomplished with frames, currently.  Frames,
however,
<SNIP>

This can be accomplished with careful uses of CSS-2.  Here's is my one file
frameset:

http://www.media-electronica.com/~amarshal/Tests/divframes.html

IE4 is the only UA that renders this properly.

Note that much of the absolute positioning could be discarded if the
'available' values or unit were implemented as I suggested the other day in
www-style.  This would also allow more flexibility in the fonts.  The
current implementation requires all size values be in absolute coordinates
or % of <BODY>, rather than conforming to the content (reasoning behind the
overflow values.

Andrew n marshall
  student - artist - programmer
    http://www.media-electronica.com/anm-bin/anm