Re: Suggestion: transient windows in html 4 or 5

Jordan Reiter (jreiter@mail.slc.edu)
Tue, 25 Nov 1997 23:28:30 -0500

Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 23:28:30 -0500
To: "J. DeBert" <jdebert@hypatia.com>
From: Jordan Reiter <jreiter@mail.slc.edu>
Cc: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: Suggestion: transient windows in html 4 or 5

=7FJ. DeBert felt an urge to reveal at 10:32 AM -0800 on 11/25/97:

> This suggestion concerns implementing a method in html
> to incorporate transient windows, such as may be produced
> with Java.
>
> I've been sitting on this for a while, hoping to work this
> idea out a little more. I haven't been able to due to lack
> of space-time. So here it is, raw & unprettied.
>
> This idea came to me while working on an intranet site
> for engineering info. I found that I needed transient
> windows for certain documents which included drawings
> and images (actually, the documents _were_ drawings &
> images) which were rather large in size to let
> users see information about parts of the image without
> having to move between documents. It is supposed to
> make it easier for the user to work with.
>
> The idea was conceived before Java, based at the time
> on the little popup windows that one may see in a
> Windows app when the mouse pointer is moved over a
> function button and also based on the transient windows
> used in the Windows Help facility where a small textbox
> appears when certain tags within a help document are
> clicked.

Can't this be done with the <A HREF=3D"foo.htm" TARGET=3D"newwindow"> techni=
que?

[           Jordan Reiter                             ]
[           mailto:jreiter@mail.slc.edu               ]
[  "It's well known that dead people are all sick     ]
[   because they're too depressing."                  ]
[   -- from http://www.icemcfd.com/cgi-bin/make_flame ]