Re: List of changes in Nov.7 draft from Sept. 17 version

Jukka Korpela <jkorpela@cc.hut.fi>

I wrote:
>> IE 4.0 supports the elements INS and DEL.
>> Why not use them in the next draft
>> or PR so that all changes can be easily spotted?

>It does? Which version? My version, 4.0 Platform Preview (4.71.1008.3),
>seems to ignore the INS and DEL tags completely.

Final version

>Some people have suggested that INS and DEL don't degrade well on browsers
>which don't support them. Well INS obviously degrades decently: you
>just miss the information that a portion of text is new as compared
>with previous version. But DEL does not: on browsers which don't
>support it (majority of browsers now), you see deleted text as normal
>text. A clumsy way to overcome this would be to use STRIKE within DEL,
>but it would confuse things on browsers which support DEL (in their
>own way, with which STRIKE may interfere) and would not help on old
>browsers which do not support STRIKE either.

I don't know if and how INS and DEL are rendered in other browsers. IE
renders INS as U and DEL as STRIKE. Of course there is not guarantee other
browsers will follow this line. However, for now one could use
<INS><U>...</U></INS> and <DEL><STRIKE>...</STRIKE></DEL>.

I have just tested the above. There is no confusion or interference. As we
are all pressed for time having deleted and inserted parts marked would be
a great help. There is no need for "messing up" the Recommendation (should
we
come to this)

/e