Re: Link checking (only)

gerrit (
Tue, 13 May 97 05:16 +0100

Date: Tue, 13 May 97 05:16 +0100
From: (gerrit)
Subject: RE: Re: Link checking (only)
To: (Jeff de la Beaujardiere)

 my name is gerrit and I received this message from you I think my name is
standing on any mailing-list!!!! Can you help me and tell me what I can do not to
receive these letters anymore, I would be very thankful if you could describe me
how I can Unsubscribe from the list where I Recwived for example your letter and
even much other letters!!!!
this I received:
Walter Ian Kaye writes:
> Is there a standard way to check the existence of a URL resource without
> actually downloading it?

You can use the HEAD request instead of GET:

>telnet 80   #telnet to port 80
Connected to
Escape character is '^]'.
HEAD / HTTP/1.0                   #syntax is "Method Request-URI HTTP-Version"
                                  #extra newline to signal end of request
HTTP/1.0 200 OK                   #response from server starts here