Re: " not in HTML 3.2?

Christopher R. Maden (crm@ebt.com)
Mon, 3 Mar 1997 20:06:43 GMT

From: "Christopher R. Maden" <crm@ebt.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 1997 20:06:43 GMT
To: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: &quot; not in HTML 3.2?

[Dan Connolly]
> Arnoud Galactus Engelfriet wrote:
> > Why is the &quot; entity not present in the latest HTML 3.2
> > specification, even though it is used in an example in the
> > documentation?
>
> No good reason. It's a mistake.

Actually, since this has come up:

The ISO 8879 entity sets do not have definitions for the various
entities, only descriptions; &quot; says "quotation mark".  Europeans
were responsible for the first association of glyphs or code-points
with entities, and those associations were incorporated into the
entity sets of ISO TR 9573; as a result, &quot; is canonically defined
as ASCII 39 (or ISO 10646 x0027).

There is no entity reference for " (ASCII 34, ISO 10646 x0022).

This sucks in a big way.  I don't recommend *changing* the past
definition of &quot; in HTML, but I do recommend simply leaving it
out.  Attribute values can be quoted by single-quotes (ASCII 39), and
can thus contain double-quotes; for values that need to contain both,
quote the value in single-quotes and use &apos; for internal
single-quotes (which should be defined in the HTML DTD as CDATA
"&#39;").

-Chris
--
Christopher R. Maden                  One Richmond Square
DynaText SIT Technical Support        Providence, RI 02906 USA