Re: <acronym? [was: www-html archives ]

Gregory Martin Pfeil (
Thu, 31 Jul 1997 22:18:49 -0400

Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 22:18:49 -0400
From: Gregory Martin Pfeil <>
To: Brian Kelly <>
CC: "Alan J. Flavell" <>,
Subject: Re: <acronym? [was: www-html archives ]

Brian Kelly wrote:
> > Well, In the HTML4.0 draft I was surprised to see the way that the term
> > "acronym" was being interpreted.
> Re. the discussion on acronyms and initialisms, what is VRML (Virtual
> Reality Markup Language)?  The VRML FAQ (F-AY-QUEUE or Fack?) states that
> this should be pronounced "vermel".  However most people I know in the UK
> treat it like HTML and spell out the initials. I don't know anyone who
> pronounces HTML as "hit-mell", although URL is pronounced YOU-ARE-ELL
> and "earl" (the latter seems to be favoured by many Scots I know).

I tend to spell out most acronyms.  One in particular that I fight about
is SQL (not pronounced "sequel").  Anyway, just thought you might like
to know that VRML means "virtual reality MODELING language", just
nitpicking - rather unimportant.

------------GREGORY MARTIN PFEIL------------
Composer & Guitarist                  UIN: 235067
--------Renaissance Productions Inc.--------
Internet Site Design     GRID (Internet ref)