Re: <acronym? [was: www-html archives ]

Brian Kelly (lisbk@ukoln.ac.uk)
Thu, 31 Jul 1997 09:23:32 +0100 (BST)

Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 09:23:32 +0100 (BST)
From: Brian Kelly <lisbk@ukoln.ac.uk>
To: "Alan J. Flavell" <flavell@mail.cern.ch>
cc: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: <acronym? [was: www-html archives ]

> Well, In the HTML4.0 draft I was surprised to see the way that the term
> "acronym" was being interpreted.

Re. the discussion on acronyms and initialisms, what is VRML (Virtual
Reality Markup Language)?  The VRML FAQ (F-AY-QUEUE or Fack?) states that
this should be pronounced "vermel".  However most people I know in the UK
treat it like HTML and spell out the initials. I don't know anyone who
pronounces HTML as "hit-mell", although URL is pronounced YOU-ARE-ELL
and "earl" (the latter seems to be favoured by many Scots I know).

Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly, UK Web Focus
UKOLN, University of Bath, BATH, England, BA2 7AY
Email:  B.Kelly@ukoln.ac.uk     URL:    http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/
Phone:  01225 323943            FAX:   01225 826838