HREF *required* in BASE?

Holger Wahlen (wahlen@ph-cip.Uni-Koeln.DE)
Thu, 31 Jul 1997 21:12:42 +0200

Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 21:12:42 +0200
To: www-html@w3.org
From: wahlen@ph-cip.Uni-Koeln.DE (Holger Wahlen)
Subject: HREF *required* in BASE?

I've just been looking at the definition of BASE in the 4.0
specs, and it surprised me to find the following attribute
list:

<!ATTLIST BASE
  href        %URL       #REQUIRED
  target      CDATA      #IMPLIED  -- where to render linked resource --

I understand that it made sense to require HREF in 3.2, but I
don't see why it should be kept that way if there's TARGET
now as well. The draft's example for the use of TARGET
doesn't contain any HREF either, so I suppose it just been
overlooked to make the change for HREF in the DTD when TARGET
was added - is that so, or do I miss anything important?