Re: Collapsing breaks & non-beaking spaces.

Arnoud (
Mon, 14 Jul 1997 20:09:15 +0200

From: (Arnoud "Galactus" Engelfriet)
Subject: Re: Collapsing breaks & non-beaking spaces.
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 20:09:15 +0200

In article <>,
"Russell Steven Shawn O'Connor" <> wrote:
> No one has mentioned the purpose of collapsing whitespace to begin with.
> Why do we collapse whitespace?  I don't have an offical answer, but I'd
> guess it is done so that Authors can format the HTML SOURCE in such a way
> so that it is readable.

I thought it was to allow a browser to format the document according
to the current window / rendering device. This goes especially for
newlines, but I think it's valid for normal spaces too. But you could
very well be right - it does make it easier to write readable HTML
source if you know whitespace will collapse.

Strangely enough, I can't find anything in RFC 1866 that explicitly
states that multiple spaces *are* collapsed, only that a newline is
a word space.

E-mail: .................... PGP Key: 512/63B0E665
Maintainer of WDG's HTML reference: <>