Re: Bizarre <script> tag spec

Russell Steven Shawn O'Connor (roconnor@wronski.math.uwaterloo.ca)
Mon, 14 Jul 1997 11:53:38 -0400 (EDT)

Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 11:53:38 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Russell Steven Shawn O'Connor" <roconnor@wronski.math.uwaterloo.ca>
To: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: Bizarre <script> tag spec

On Sun, 13 Jul 1997 jwp@checfs1.ucsd.edu wrote:

> thus, this is illegal:
>
>     >      <SCRIPT type="text/javascript">
>     >        document.write ("<EM>This won't work</EM>")
>     >      </SCRIPT>
>
>     > A conforming parser must treat the "</EM>" data as the end of
>     > script data, which is clearly not what the author intended.
>
> Quite frankly, this seems to be exceptionally dumb. Was there a
> sensible reason for this decision?

I'm not sure of the details, but I think it boils down to making SGML
parsing (and HTML parsing) easier for web browsers.  Parsing this example
of HTML may be easy for our human parallel processing brains.  But it is
somewhat difficult for a computer.

--
Russell O'Connor            |              roconnor@uwaterloo.ca
        <http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/%7Eroconnor/>