Re: Collapsing breaks & non-beaking spaces.

Russell Steven Shawn O'Connor (roconnor@wronski.math.uwaterloo.ca)
Mon, 14 Jul 1997 11:49:10 -0400 (EDT)

Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 11:49:10 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Russell Steven Shawn O'Connor" <roconnor@wronski.math.uwaterloo.ca>
To: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: Collapsing breaks & non-beaking spaces.

No one has mentioned the purpose of collapsing whitespace to begin with.
Why do we collapse whitespace?  I don't have an offical answer, but I'd
guess it is done so that Authors can format the HTML SOURCE in such a way
so that it is readable.

If this is the case, then collapsing &nbsp would make no sense.  When was
the last time you saw people using &nbsp's to make their SOURCE more
readable? ;-)

--
Russell O'Connor            |              roconnor@uwaterloo.ca
        <http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/%7Eroconnor/>