Re: Comments on HTMl 4 draft (9/Nov/1997)

Neil St.Laurent (neil@bigpic.com)
Tue, 16 Dec 1997 14:33:01 -0600

From: "Neil St.Laurent" <neil@bigpic.com>
To: Sue Jordan <sjacct@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 14:33:01 -0600
CC: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: Comments on HTMl 4 draft (9/Nov/1997)

> I might agree that <EM> and <STRONG> may be part of the
> content of a particular document, but I <EM><STRONG>
> disagree </STRONG></EM> that <I> and <B> serve for any
> purpose but presentation..

What's missing with STRONG and EM is that it isn't always the desire
to make the text appear stronger or more emphasized, but indeed all
you want to do is make it appear different than the rest.  At the
same time you'd have to argue that we need a WEAK and DEEM to
indicate text that is to be under emphasized or weaker.

Consider a simple tagline attached to a paragraph. <I>For More Info
Go Here</I>

I can easily argue that it shouldn't be strong, nor should it be
emphasized, but that it most certainly should be set apart from the
rest of the paragraph.

__