Re: Comments on HTMl 4 draft (9/Nov/1997)

Neil St.Laurent (neil@bigpic.com)
Tue, 16 Dec 1997 14:37:37 -0600

From: "Neil St.Laurent" <neil@bigpic.com>
To: Jordan Reiter <jreiter@mail.slc.edu>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 14:37:37 -0600
CC: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: Comments on HTMl 4 draft (9/Nov/1997)

> The most important thing the W3C can do is begin to pressure authors
> of web authoring books/manuals/lessons to start placing an emphasis
> on the logical rather than the visual and then teach the use of CSS.
> Otherwise, it matters little what we do..

You would first have to show that <I> and <B> are strictly
presentational, but it appears that right from the beginning the
meaning of these two elements has acquired a value in the content,
meaning they aren't strictly presentation elements.

Deprecating them makes it hard to convert old documents into the
newer standard since there isn't an adequated replacement logically
for those two elements.
__