Re: keybind and softkeytype [Fwd: Requests to HTML4.0 draft]

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Martin_J=2E_D=FCrst?= (mduerst@ifi.unizh.ch)
Tue, 26 Aug 1997 12:41:10 +0200 (MET DST)

Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 12:41:10 +0200 (MET DST)
From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Martin_J=2E_D=FCrst?= <mduerst@ifi.unizh.ch>
To: jonathon <grafolog@netcom.com>
cc: Jordan Reiter <jreiter@mail.slc.edu>, www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: keybind and softkeytype [Fwd: Requests to HTML4.0 draft]

On Tue, 26 Aug 1997, jonathon wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Aug 1997, Jordan Reiter wrote:
> > At 12:30 PM -0000 8/25/97, Martin J. D=FCrst wrote:
> > determine what sort of input device is used.  This way, if a certain la=
ng
> > attribute is defined for the whole page, or for a specific section, the=
> > the correct keyboard is automatically created.  And if there are ever p=
ut
>=20
> =09Output device: Braille Display Unit.  =20
> =09Input device: Dvorak Keyboard. =20
> =09Keyboard language:  Spanish.
> =09Website language:  Tagalog.  =20
>=20
> =09Can the <softkeytype>, <keybind> and <input-device> really
> =09handle that combination?   Making Unicode mandatory seems
> =09to me to be the only way to handle that.=20

Unicode helps a lot in other respects, but can't do that much here.
What you call Website language is already part of the HTTP protocol
(Accept-Language and Content-Language) and available e.g. in the
Apache server, and in newer browsers so that the user can set his/her
preferences. For mixed-language documents, there is also the LANG
attribute in HTML.
For the output device, there is some work going on in HTTP for
content negotiations. The input device/keyboard language can
usually be set locally be the user.
The original proponent of softkeytype wanted is a way to specify
script subsets in order to restrict input into a certain form
field and/or to select a special (soft) keyboard for user
convenience.

Regards,=09Martin.