Re: keybind and softkeytype [Fwd: Requests to HTML4.0 draft]

At 12:30 PM -0000 8/25/97, Martin J. Dürst wrote:
>> >(2) softkey type
>> >In the keyboard-less Internet appliances, the browser usually
>> >uses a software keyboard. In this case, if some input forms
>> >accept only numbers, it seems better that a software keyboard
>> >for inputing numbers is popped up. We introduced the attribute
>> >"softkeytype" to specify the required input type for <input>
>> >and <textarea>.
>> >
>> >	softkeytype="normal"	- Any characters
>> >	softkeytype="digit"	- Numbers
>> >	softkeytype="hira"	- Hiragana(Japanese)
>> >	softkeytype="kata"	- Katakana(Japanese)
>> >	softkeytype="upper"	- Upper case
>> >	softkeytype="lower"	- Lower case
>
>The problem here is that there are several scripts with upper
>and lower cases (Latin, Cyrillic, Greek). Also, there are many
>different kinds of digits (many scripts have their own).

This seems to bring up the obvious solution: use of the lang attribute to
determine what sort of input device is used.  This way, if a certain lang
attribute is defined for the whole page, or for a specific section, then
the correct keyboard is automatically created.  And if there are ever put
into HTML more functions concerning input types (I myself think that some
sort of attributes should be created that limit data input), then the whole
problem is solved.

[                    Jordan Reiter                     ]
[            mailto:jreiter@mail.slc.edu               ]
[ "You can't just say, 'I don't want to get involved.' ]
[  The universe got you involved."  --Hal Lipset, P.I. ]