Re: style sheets, dropped capitals and floatimg text

Jordan Reiter (jreiter@mail.slc.edu)
Thu, 14 Aug 1997 12:27:08 -0400

Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 12:27:08 -0400
To: www-html@atomism.demon.co.uk, www-html@w3.org
From: Jordan Reiter <jreiter@mail.slc.edu>
Subject: Re: style sheets, dropped capitals and floatimg text

At 4:01 PM -0000 8/14/97, www-html@atomism.demon.co.uk wrote:
>Hi
>
>I'm trying to get this to work:
> _______
>[__  __] HIS SEEMS to be very difficult
>   []    to achieve using style sheets.
>   []    I've tried floating text but
>   []    nothing seems to happen in both
>   []    MSIE 4 and Netscape 4.01. Does
>anyone know how to create a dropped
>capital at the start of a paragraph with
>the rest of the paragraph wrapping
>around it?
I can't remember the exact term for it, but the first letter of a paragraph
can be acted on StyleSheet-wise.  Here's the code, which, incidentally,
isn't supported widely (sorry).  Anyone out there who sees a mistake in the
code, please correct.

P:first-letter { size: xx-large; float: left }

[                    Jordan Reiter                     ]
[            mailto:jreiter@mail.slc.edu               ]
[ "You can't just say, 'I don't want to get involved.' ]
[  The universe got you involved."  --Hal Lipset, P.I. ]