> >CSS has this:
> >
> >  BODY { text-align: justify }
>
> thanks, i had missed that all together
> looking too hard i guess......
>
> can this be applied as:
>
> BLOCKQUOTE { text-align: justify }
>
> or
>
> P { text-align: justify }

Yes, if you check the specification, you'll notice that this can be
applied to all elements.

> Peter Flynn wrote:
> >No, it's not there, because HTML 3.2 and 4 document and codify
> >existing practice, not future use.
> >
> >What you're looking for is <p align="justify">, right? And <div
> >align="justify">? Do browsers support these?
>
> that is exactly what I would love to see
> i can't be sure if it's proper or not, though
> i realize CSS is supposed to take care of all
> the style elements of a document so it should
> cover alignments, but, on the other hand,
> justification is simply the proper way to align
> a blockquote--so it's not really a style issue
> in that case (the one i'm most concerned with)
>
> more thoughts anyone?

I think the alignment issue is one of style, even if its use is fairly
standard.  Every property has a default value.  For 'text-align' it
happens to be left.  I guess it is possible , in future versions, to have
a separate default for BLOCKQUOTE, but that would be confusing at best.  I
feel the easiest way is to define everything in the style sheet that you
have any preference about, whether or not it is the default, because
remember, if a user has their own stylesheet defined,then it will override
the default, possibly rendering a lot of your hard work, which relied on
that default, to come to naught.  It's ok to be redundant, the computer
won't notice a few extra bytes.  Define everything you have _any_
preference about.

My personal design technique?  I eliminated style from HTML even more than
the 4.0 DTD did.  Speaking of which, how do you align an image (and its
resulting ALT text)?  Currently, I just let it float left, but I would
really prefer a centered graphic.

--
Gregory Martin Pfeil                Programmer-Composer-Guitarist
mailto:pfeilgm@jmu.edu            http://falcon.jmu.edu/~pfeilgm/