Re: Strange definition of Frame in Cougar DTD

David Perrell (davidp@earthlink.net)
Tue, 29 Apr 1997 13:31:31 -0700

From: "David Perrell" <davidp@earthlink.net>
To: <www-html@w3.org>, "Greg Marr" <gregm@alum.wpi.edu>
Subject: Re: Strange definition of Frame in Cougar DTD
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 13:31:31 -0700

Greg Marr wrote:
> It is supposed to be used on pages WITHOUT frameset tags.  It
prevents
> frame-enabled browsers from displaying what is inside.  The main use
for
> this is to provide information to non-frame browsers that would be
> duplicated in another frame on a frame-enabled browser, such as
navigation
> links or a banner.

Ah, I see (said the blind carpenter, as he picked up his hammer and
saw).

That seems like a good idea. By that reasoning, NOFRAMES should be
usable inside the BODY element. But should it be a block or special
entity? And what of FRAMESET and FRAME? Non-entities?

BTW, I noticed HEIGHT and WIDTH attributes are missing from the FRAME
and IFRAME elements. Sorta limits their usefulness.

David Perrell