Re: Strange definition of Frame in Cougar DTD

Arnoud "Galactus" Engelfriet wrote:
> Problem: what if the document is loaded in the "_top" frame, eg.
> there are no frames around it? Then you _do_ want to see the
> NOFRAMES content, since that's typically hiding menu bars and the
> likes.

I was tempted to say you just wouldn't do that, then remembered all the
times I've used the URL of the contents frame as a reference document
(for example, the URL reference in the message you responded to).

It would make sense to display NOFRAMES when no frames have been set,
but that isn't current browser behavior.

If you use server-side scripting you can have the contents document
load the parent navigation frameset if the requestor UA is
frame-enabled and include inline navigation if not. Then you don't have
to worry about any NOFRAMES stuff. If a framesetting URL is requested
by a noframes browser, deliver the default contents document with
navigation included.

David Perrell