Re: HTML Metadata for other Web objects

Stu Weibel (weibel@oclc.org)
Wed, 23 Apr 1997 07:51:03 -0400

Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 07:51:03 -0400
From: weibel@oclc.org (Stu Weibel)
To: search@mail.mccmedia.com, advax@triumf.ca
Subject: Re: HTML Metadata for other Web objects
Cc: meta2@mrrl.lut.ac.uk, www-html@w3.org

Andrew Daviel writes:

> We need a consensus on how to specify metadata for non-HTML Web objects,
> IMO.

The infrastructure for supporting metadata of non-html Web objects is
not now in place, but will be within the year.  It is PICS-ng.

The modification of existing PICS specification will result in a system
that is interoperable, widely deployed, and will support the
specification, creation, and management of a wide variety of metadata,
including Dublin Core-style descriptors.

In my judgement, investing time and energy in other approaches is
redundant and will not likely result in solutions before the PICS
technology is mature.

stu