Re: HTML Metadata for other Web objects

Dirk Herr-Hoyman (dirk@hotoffice.com)
Wed, 23 Apr 1997 07:01:43 -0500

Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 07:01:43 -0500
To: weibel@oclc.org (Stu Weibel)
From: Dirk Herr-Hoyman <dirk@hotoffice.com>
Subject: Re: HTML Metadata for other Web objects
Cc: search@mail.mccmedia.com, advax@triumf.ca, meta2@mrrl.lut.ac.uk,

At 07:51 AM 4/23/97 -0400, Stu Weibel wrote:
>Andrew Daviel writes:
>
>> We need a consensus on how to specify metadata for non-HTML Web objects,
>> IMO.
>
>The infrastructure for supporting metadata of non-html Web objects is
>not now in place, but will be within the year.  It is PICS-ng.
>
>The modification of existing PICS specification will result in a system
>that is interoperable, widely deployed, and will support the
>specification, creation, and management of a wide variety of metadata,
>including Dublin Core-style descriptors.

Stu, can you give us a URL to look at the PICS spec?

>In my judgement, investing time and energy in other approaches is
>redundant and will not likely result in solutions before the PICS
>technology is mature.

Heh-heh.  I was thinking the same thing about URN/URC about 4 years ago.
Nonetheless, one solution is better than many here, so I hope that one will
emerge, and perhaps PICS will be the one.

--
Dirk Herr-Hoyman <dirk@hotoffice.com>
HotOffice Technologies http://www.hotoffice.com