Re: MIRROR for external entity references in XML?

Dan Connolly (
Wed, 16 Apr 1997 16:35:51 -0500

Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 16:35:51 -0500
From: Dan Connolly <>
To: Steven Champeon <>
CC:, Tim Bray <>,
Subject: Re: MIRROR for external entity references in XML?

Steven Champeon wrote:
> I just spent some time looking over the XML docs,

Cite a source! Give a URL! Do the right thing!

Shall we assume you are referring to [1]?

Hmm... I'm not sure www-html is the best forum for
review comments on that document. This one is
our fault, not yours: the "status of this document"
section should have said where to send review comments.

I have copied the editors...

Tim and CMSM: let's make sure the next revision gets
this right.

> and got to
> thinking a bit.

Always a dangerous thing...

> In section 4.2, the example for parameter
> entity references is as follows:
> <!ENTITY % ISOLat2
>            SYSTEM "" >
>   %ISOLat2;
> Assuming that Bob Metcalfe is right about the death of the Net,
> or at least its slow grinding descent into saturation, wouldn't
> it make sense to allow for unreachable hosts with a MIRROR alt
> for external refs?

Yes! On the other hand, this is not an XML syntax problem
so much as a generic URL and linking problem. More on that later.

Dan Connolly, W3C Architecture Domain Lead
<> +1 512 310-2971
PGP:EDF8 A8E4 F3BB 0F3C FD1B 7BE0 716C FF21