Re: MIRROR for external entity references in XML?

Dan Connolly (connolly@w3.org)
Wed, 16 Apr 1997 16:35:51 -0500

Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 16:35:51 -0500
From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
To: Steven Champeon <schampeo@hesketh.com>
CC: www-html@w3.org, Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>,
Subject: Re: MIRROR for external entity references in XML?

Steven Champeon wrote:

> I just spent some time looking over the XML docs,

Cite a source! Give a URL! Do the right thing!
http://www.w3.org/People/Connolly#cite

Shall we assume you are referring to [1]?
[1]http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/TR/WD-xml-961114.html

Hmm... I'm not sure www-html is the best forum for
review comments on that document. This one is
our fault, not yours: the "status of this document"
section should have said where to send review comments.

I have copied the editors...

Tim and CMSM: let's make sure the next revision gets
this right.

> and got to
> thinking a bit.

Always a dangerous thing...

> In section 4.2, the example for parameter
> entity references is as follows:
>
> <!ENTITY % ISOLat2
>            SYSTEM "http://www.xml.com/iso/isolat2-xml.entities" >
>   %ISOLat2;
>
> Assuming that Bob Metcalfe is right about the death of the Net,
> or at least its slow grinding descent into saturation, wouldn't
> it make sense to allow for unreachable hosts with a MIRROR alt
> for external refs?

Yes! On the other hand, this is not an XML syntax problem
so much as a generic URL and linking problem. More on that later.

--
Dan Connolly, W3C Architecture Domain Lead
<connolly@w3.org> +1 512 310-2971