Re: Handling relocated anchors...

Dan Connolly (connolly@w3.org)
Wed, 16 Apr 1997 14:31:52 -0500

Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 14:31:52 -0500
From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
To: "Robert Rothenburg 'Walking-Owl'" <WlkngOwl@unix.asb.com>
CC: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: Handling relocated anchors...

Please consider sending a review comment on the recent working
draft on linking[1] to the editors as per [2].

[1] http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/TR/WD-htmllink
[2] http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/MarkUp/Cougar/

Robert Rothenburg 'Walking-Owl' wrote:

> There's a variety of choices to handle moved pages, but what if
> someone puts a link to http://www.any-site.com/foo.html#bar where
> foo.html is still there, but the anchor "bar" has moved (say when
> that section is large enough to merit it's own page at bar.html)?
>
> A simple kluge is to put a <a name="bar">Moved</a> message for pages
> that link to that section, but it would be nice to mark a referral
> for an anchor that functions like Refresh in HTTPD headers:
>
>   <a name="bar" refer-href="bar.html">
>
> So that any links to foo.html#bar are referred to bar.html.

I suggest you consider using link relationships, ala:
	<a name="bar" href="bar.html" rel="redirect">moved</a>

--
Dan Connolly, W3C Architecture Domain Lead
<connolly@w3.org> +1 512 310-2971