Re: Handling relocated anchors...

Dan Connolly (
Wed, 16 Apr 1997 14:31:52 -0500

Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 14:31:52 -0500
From: Dan Connolly <>
To: "Robert Rothenburg 'Walking-Owl'" <>
Subject: Re: Handling relocated anchors...

Please consider sending a review comment on the recent working
draft on linking[1] to the editors as per [2].

Robert Rothenburg 'Walking-Owl' wrote:
> There's a variety of choices to handle moved pages, but what if
> someone puts a link to where
> foo.html is still there, but the anchor "bar" has moved (say when
> that section is large enough to merit it's own page at bar.html)?
> A simple kluge is to put a <a name="bar">Moved</a> message for pages
> that link to that section, but it would be nice to mark a referral
> for an anchor that functions like Refresh in HTTPD headers:
>   <a name="bar" refer-href="bar.html">
> So that any links to foo.html#bar are referred to bar.html.

I suggest you consider using link relationships, ala:
	<a name="bar" href="bar.html" rel="redirect">moved</a>

Dan Connolly, W3C Architecture Domain Lead
<> +1 512 310-2971
PGP:EDF8 A8E4 F3BB 0F3C FD1B 7BE0 716C FF21