Re: <MATH> implementation (was Re: ISO and HTML)

Paul Prescod (papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca)
Sun, 13 Apr 1997 14:19:29 -0400

Date: Sun, 13 Apr 1997 14:19:29 -0400
From: Paul Prescod <papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
To: abigail@fnx.com
CC: Walter Ian Kaye <walter@natural-innovations.com>, www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: <MATH> implementation (was Re: ISO and HTML)

Abigail wrote:
> Then you might as well use an inline gif. That will reach more users.
> (I'd love to see MATH, but I'm not turning Java on for it).  But both
> an inline image and a java applet are 100% presentation, there's not
> structual information.

The latter is not true. Java applets are computer programs. They take
input and transform it into presentation and allow interaction. But the
input to a Java applet can be as structural (or presentational) as you
like. Of course the *output* of the Java applet is not structural, but
neither is the output of a browser! What matters is input: the document
that comes across the Web. The Java applet provides a convenient way of
rendering that input without kidnapping Marc Andreeson or blackmailing
Bill Gates.

 Paul Prescod