Re: <MATH> implementation (was Re: ISO and HTML)

Dave Raggett (
Wed, 16 Apr 1997 14:56:32 -0400 ()

Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 14:56:32 -0400 ()
From: Dave Raggett <>
To: Abigail <>
cc: Walter Ian Kaye <>,
Subject: Re: <MATH> implementation (was Re: ISO and HTML)

> Then you might as well use an inline gif. That will reach more users.
> (I'd love to see MATH, but I'm not turning Java on for it).  But both
> an inline image and a java applet are 100% presentation, there's not
> structual information.
> Don't get me wrong, I think MATH belongs in HTML. But let's be
> realistic.  HTML 3.0 was largely ignored. The TABLES proposal was
> redone to fit Netscape's implementation, and where it has gone beyond,
> it's being ignored. HTML 2.0 described current practise, and so does
> HTML 3.2.

W3C is working on Math, see:

We are developing an XML based format for describing both
presentation and semantics for math expressions. In addition there
are number of applets/plugins for math in the pipeline. I am myself
near finishing a public domain plugin for math. In the longer run
we expect to see math tags integrated into the browser.

Dave Raggett - <> tel +1 617 258 5741 fax +1 617 258 5999
World Wide Web Consortium 545 Technology Square, Cambridge MA 02139