Re: HTML should not be a file format, but an output format

BruceLeban@akimbo.com wrote:
> Sorry, but that's not true. It is an HTML issue. There is no way to embed
> a picture directly in an HTML file.

Sorry, but that's not true. There is no way to embed a picture directly
in an HTML *document entity*, but a single physical file could have
multiple entities within it. For instance using MIME. Check the HTML 3.2
specification: "The HTML specification is not concerned with storage
entities." -- in other words HTML is not a file format.

> It's just not defined.

MIME is well defined. URLs between MIME entities are probably not
rigorously defined, but if I emailed you a letter, or even a .zip file,
with an embedded HTML document, and also an embedded GIF graphic, and a
relative URL from one to the other, I would say that the semantics were
pretty clear. Of course getting a browser that was smart enough to do
the right thing would be difficult.

 Paul Prescod