Re: A suggested tag

Ingo Macherius (Ingo.Macherius@tu-clausthal.de)
Fri, 11 Apr 1997 23:35:39 +0200 (MET DST)

Subject: Re: A suggested tag
To: liam@htmlhelp.com (Liam Quinn)
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 23:35:39 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: www-html@w3.org
From: Ingo Macherius <Ingo.Macherius@tu-clausthal.de>

Liam Quinn said:

| > A suggested tag: something like <w> for word split
|=20
| A soft hyphen entity, &shy;, was proposed in HTML 2.0, though I don't=20
| think many (if any) browsers actually support it.

Think of HTML processing by ESIS events. A tag could be processed on even=
level, while an entity would have to be mapped on a character an then=20
processed on content level.=20

With the <w> solution there is the problem of determining word begin/end.
	Com<w>
	mu<w>
	ni<w>
	ca<w>
	tor
could not easily be determined as a single word. So to make it bullet pro=
of
word ending/beginnings would have to be tagged, too. E.g.

| Optimally, browsers would have a dictionary of words and their proper=20
| hyphenation,

This would impose the necessarity to have multi langual dictionaries
installed on any client machine. With the supposed tag such would be need=
ed
on the providers machine. I don=B4t think this tag would be used by autho=
rs,
but would be inserted by post processing scripts.

| but since they can't even support justified text,=20
| thinking about hyphenation is a bit premature.

Isn=B4t hyphenation a way to properly justified documents ? IMHO first th=
ere
is hyphenation, then there is justification.

	++im
--=20
Snail : Ingo Macherius // L'Aigler Platz 4 // D-38678 Clausthal-Zellerfel=
Mail  : Ingo.Macherius@tu-clausthal.de WWW: http://www.tu-clausthal.de/~i=
nim/
Information!=3DKnowledge!=3DWisdom!=3DTruth!=3DBeauty!=3DLove!=3DMusic=3D=
=3DBEST (Frank Zappa)