Re: A suggested tag

Liam Quinn (liam@htmlhelp.com)
Fri, 11 Apr 1997 17:05:42 -0500

From: "Liam Quinn" <liam@htmlhelp.com>
To: www-html@w3.org, Kenneth Christiansen <kenth@writeme.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 17:05:42 -0500
Subject: Re: A suggested tag

On 11 Apr 97 at 22:31, Kenneth Christiansen wrote:

> A suggested tag: something like <w>
> for word split

A soft hyphen entity, &shy;, was proposed in HTML 2.0, though I don't
think many (if any) browsers actually support it.  Some show a
hyphen, but I'm not aware of any that actually treat it as a soft
hyphen.

Still, I wouldn't want to have to write code like this:

It seems terribly cumbersome and inefficient from an author's
standpoint.

Optimally, browsers would have a dictionary of words and their proper
hyphenation, but since they can't even support justified text,
thinking about hyphenation is a bit premature.  If browsers were to
support &shy;, I can only imagine using it on long words (>10
characters).

Liam Quinn
===============  http://www.htmlhelp.com/%7Eliam/  ===============