Re: WHICH HTML-CODE is better to use?

Steven Champeon (schampeo@hesketh.com)
Thu, 10 Apr 1997 10:58:17 -0400

Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 10:58:17 -0400
To: galactus@htmlhelp.com (Arnoud "Galactus" Engelfriet), www-html@w3.org
From: Steven Champeon <schampeo@hesketh.com>
Subject: Re: WHICH HTML-CODE is better to use?
Cc: jult@xs4all.DEL.ME.nl

At 04:37 PM 4/10/97 +0200, Arnoud "Galactus" Engelfriet graced us with:
=BB=A0
=BB=A0In article <334cdeb8.350903@news.xs4all.nl>,
=BB=A0jult@xs4all.DEL.ME.nl wrote:
=BB=A0> I have a question probably many of us like to have answered:
=BB=A0> Which one of these versions of the same html-code works fastest
=BB=A0> and WHY? ( I'm a perfectionist, so I'd really like to know, even if
=BB=A0> it's only about nano-sec's loading time! )
=BB=A0>=20
=BB=A0> <A HREF=3D"http://www.charliesangels.com/">CharliesAngels.com</A>
=BB=A0> <A HREF=3D"http://www.charliesangels.com">CharliesAngels.com</A>

Something worth considering, and more to the point of the original
poster's question, is an URL like this:

If /directory contains a default file, such as "index.html", most
servers will send back a 302 with the appropriate URL:

Location: http://www.charliesangels.com/directory/index.html

The markup above will actually retrieve the file itself, instead of
generating a 302. All because of a trailing slash.

The above is true for Apache, and I would guess for NCSA httpd as well.
Anyone want to confirm it for me?

Steve

--
Steven Champeon                  !  Funky towel,
Web Guru/Intranet Builder        !        towel's got the funk.