Re: end tags...

Abigail (abigail@ny.fnx.com)
Sat, 28 Sep 1996 16:54:01 -0400 (EDT)

Subject: Re: end tags...
To: www-html@w3.org
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1996 16:54:01 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Abigail" <abigail@ny.fnx.com>

You, Carl Morris, wrote:
++
++ |    (as I said earlier, I see no reason why most all end tags can not
++ be
++ |    assumed...)
++ |
++ | Many of them can. What's your problem? I think, for example, you need
++ | to use end-tags on <H1>, otherwise the browser can't tell where the
++ | heading ends. Same for <A>. I know some people have argued that <EM>
++ | should be defined with an optional end-tag, so that emphasis gets
++ | turned off automatically at the end of the paragraph.
++
++ It can't???? Sense when....  Sense when can't a browser tell:
++
++ <H1> Hi!
++
++ <P> This isn't a headin!
++
++ <H6> End of document!
++
++ </HTML>

Because it doesn't know where to end the <H?>. Remember that %text
may appear in the document. For instance, the browser cannot detect
whether you meant:

<H6> End</H6>of document
<H6> End of</H6>document
<H6> End of document</H6>

Or even:

<H6> End of doc</H6>ument

Don't confuse things that are "obvious" for the human eye with
unambigious parsable.

Abigail