Re: end tags...

Carl Morris (msftrncs@htcnet.com)
Mon, 23 Sep 1996 08:04:40 -0500

From: "Carl Morris" <msftrncs@htcnet.com>
To: "Peter Flynn" <pflynn@curia.ucc.ie>
Cc: "WWW HTML List" <www-html@w3.org>
Subject: Re: end tags...
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 08:04:40 -0500

|    (as I said earlier, I see no reason why most all end tags can not
be
|    assumed...)
|
| Many of them can. What's your problem? I think, for example, you need
| to use end-tags on <H1>, otherwise the browser can't tell where the
| heading ends. Same for <A>. I know some people have argued that <EM>
| should be defined with an optional end-tag, so that emphasis gets
| turned off automatically at the end of the paragraph.

It can't???? Sense when....  Sense when can't a browser tell:

<H1> Hi!

<P> This isn't a headin!

<H6> End of document!

</HTML>

From this I can infer that a <HTML> and <BODY> exist before the <H1>, I
can infer that the <H1> must end before the <P> due to content
conflicts, like wise I can tell the <P> had ended before the <H6>
starts, and the <H6> is forced closed by the infered </BODY> closing
caused by the </HTML>. Anything furthur in the file woild force me to
error...

Oh, and EM has to be closed before the closing <P>, a content conflict
would occur.... a <P> can not be contained by an <EM>, character markup
can not suround block markup as far as I read it...

(except in the case of buggy MSIE's marquee tag...)