Re: end tags...

Abigail (abigail@ny.fnx.com)
Sat, 28 Sep 1996 16:49:10 -0400 (EDT)

Subject: Re: end tags...
To: www-html@w3.org
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1996 16:49:10 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Abigail" <abigail@ny.fnx.com>

Peter Flynn, wrote:

++ Many of them can. What's your problem? I think, for example, you need
++ to use end-tags on <H1>, otherwise the browser can't tell where the
++ heading ends. Same for <A>. I know some people have argued that <EM>
++ should be defined with an optional end-tag, so that emphasis gets
++ turned off automatically at the end of the paragraph.

I don't think that's the way how it works. An optional end tag means
that leaving out the end tag doesn't change the content of the document.
That is true in the case of:
<P>Foo <EM>Bar Baz</EM></P>

but not in the case of:
<P>Foo <EM>Bar</EM> Baz</P>

Leaving out the </EM> in the second example makes Baz emphasised.

Abigail