Re: end tags...

Sunil Mishra (smishra@cc.gatech.edu)
Sun, 22 Sep 1996 17:37:45 -0400 (EDT)

Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1996 17:37:45 -0400 (EDT)
From: Sunil Mishra <smishra@cc.gatech.edu>
To: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: end tags...

\\ I know, full of questions, but I am trying to see if I can get a parser
\\ up and going, and I would like to get just a little mode understanding
\\ than just authoring...

:-)

\\ Its known that many tags either don't have a closing tag or can be
\\ closed automatically...
\\
\\ Some parts of the specification state that a closing tag is required...
\\ but I ask that in case of such a closing tag error, is it correct to
\\ recover by closing such tags:
\\
\\ <P><FONT>Hello There</P>

In this case, the HTML is broken. I believe you have the option of either
there. The latter would be the most prudent thing to do. I don't think
there is a "correct" answer for error recovery.

\\ Would it be advisable to just close the <FONT> tag down at the </P>,
\\ or, in the case of validation, would it be better to suggest the author
\\ to correct such sequences? (excluding buggy browsers)

Yes, validators should definitely point out such broken non-closures.

\\ As such, is it incorrect that MSIE fails on the following?
\\
\\ <HEAD>
\\ 	<STYLE> blah blah style here
\\ </HEAD>

About as correct as hoping <style> is closed by </head>.

Sunil