Re: about the OBJECT tab

----- Begin Included Message -----

From papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca  Fri Sep 27 13:40:46 1996
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 13:35:47 -0400
To: Erika Madja <madja@IRO.UMontreal.CA>
From: Paul Prescod <papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
Subject: Re: about the OBJECT tab

At 01:04 PM 9/27/96 -0400, you wrote:
>	Excuse me. I think what I want can be viewed  as a plug-ins.
>To summarize, we have an application (C++) that displays  multimedia
documents with QoS facilities.
>We want these multimedia documents  to be included in HTML documents and
still being  handled by
>the  application. This later need the metadata (cf my original message ) as
parameters to initialize
>the multimedia being inserted.
>	The questions is : What will be the best way to include this parameters in
the HTML documents so that
>the "multimedia handler" (i.e  the C++ application) can access them ?
>Don't you think the OBJECT tag (and it PARAM elements) can be a solution ?
>The  specification refers to plug-ins as possible "object"  that can be
embedded in HTML documents.

This is a valid use of the OBJECT tag. It was designed to be able to do this
sort of thing. You can write applets in C++. You just need to conform to
some binary standard in order to allow the browser to communicate with the
applet. Active-X is one such standard. Plugins are another such standard.

The PARAM elements can be used to send attributes to your executable.

 Paul Prescod

----- End Included Message -----

Thanks.

Erika  MADJA