Re: space

Walter Ian Kaye (walter@natural-innovations.com)
Wed, 25 Sep 1996 22:09:35 -0700

Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 22:09:35 -0700
To: www-html@w3.org
From: Walter Ian Kaye <walter@natural-innovations.com>
Subject: Re: space

At 8:54p +1000 09/25/96, Stuart Young wrote:
>On Wed, 25 Sep 1996, Walter Ian Kaye wrote:
>>
>> Yes; proportional fonts do aid in prettifying; boldfacing and italicizing
>> as well.
>
>I personally would NEVER want to see source code in a proportional font.
>
>Ever seen Assembler source printed in a proportional font? It loses all
>the hard-formatting it has, and simply makes something harder to understand.
>
>Some constructs are 'better' in a mono-spaced font.

It depends on the language. Yes, Assembler is best in monospace font;
however, AppleScript is best in proportional fonts. AppleScript syntax
coloring preferences allow different font/style/color for half a dozen
different syntax elements (language keywords, application keywords,
variables, literals, operators). I wish to preserve these preferences
when presenting AppleScript code on the Web, and I also wish to allow
users to copy/paste the code directly into their script editor and have
it compile -- this is my goal.